I start to cultivate Makabuhay Vine way back 2013 as i need it to make a charm to improve health and long life. Though this herb was commonly known to have an abortive properties, I still hold on to the meaning of it’s name which is makabuhay or the one that promotes life. As Manghihilot or Traditional Healer, we do not just work on manipulating the Physical Body of the person to treat them but we also make medicine that could restore and maintain good health. A person Health for us as we see it does not limit to the Physical Movement of the person but we see also his/her emotional, mental, social and spiritual health as a basis for Holistic Wellness. And the medicine we provide is not also limited on Physical Manipulation of the Body but also we do preparation of Medicine for internal consumption, topical application or to carry it in their person such as in the use of Amulets, Talismans or Charms.
On my personal practice and use of Makabuhay, i mix the dried herbs and vines to alcoholic drink such as rum in a tincture and add few drops to a glass of water before i sleep. The vines can also be added to make a docoction of coconut oil to be applied on the part of the body that is affected by rheumatism and arthritis.
Studies suggest that Makabuhay has cardiotonic, antioxidant, antidiarheal, antimicrobial, antidiabetic, antiproliferative, hypolipidemic, antimalarial, and antinociceptive properties. According to Medical Health Guide, the list are the Traditional Medicinal Uses of Makabuhay vine:
- Makabuhay roots, stems and leaves are used as herbal treatment for fevers, malaria. Makabuhay leaves and roots are pounded then dissolved in cold water. Applied with a soft cloth over the nape, forehead, underarms and other body parts to bring down the body temperature.
- Makabuhay poultice is used to treat gout, arthritis, and rheumatism by reducing pain and edema.
- Makabuhay is used to treat skin diseases (athlete’s foot, scabies, etc.), promotes wound healing and alleviate skin itching. Makabuhay tonic is believed to promote overall good health and longevity, improves memory, improves skin tone and texture, and provides energy.
- Makabuhay tonic is also used to treat fever and malaria. Makabuhay tonic is used to treat gastrointestinal and digestive problems, which includes diarrhea, hyperacidity, abdominal pains, gas pains (kabag), vomiting, dyspepsia, dysentery, colitis, constipation, loss of appetite and even worm infestation.
- Makabuhay is also used in the treatment of diabetes, heart problems, hepatitis, anemia, impotence, tuberculosis, jaundice,
One thought on “Healing with Plant Medicine: Makabuhay (Tinospora Crispa)”